Thursday, January 17, 2013

Week 6, Day 3 - FSQ 135 x 10, BP 170 x 3

warmup - cossacks, wall squats, OHS w/ empty bar, shoulder dislocates w/ stick

I need some squat re-education.  I posted this on the StrongFirst.com forum today


A lesson I figured out today:

I can't deadlift light.  The bar just feels dumb to me with less than 225 on it, even with only a 365 max.  My wife says my 225 DL's look like I'm picking up a bag of groceries.  I don't love heavy deadlifting and I don't hate it, I just do it.  Doing it isn't fun but it's satisfying.

I love to squat light.  People at meets watch my warmups and comment on how beautiful my form is, but I'm clueless when the weight gets heavy.  I get to a certain point where, even though I could triple a certain weight, if you add 10 lbs. to the bar, I can't do it even once.

My lesson:  I'll know I've finally learned how to squat when I no longer enjoy it with light weights nor fear it with heavy ones, but when light weights feel too light and heavy ones hold no fear for me. 


Of course, having said that, today is _not_ the day to squat heavy, after multiple failed reps earlier in the week.  Some light squatting, which as admitted above, I do like, is the ticket - a tonic, a chance to play with form.

FSQ:

bar x 4 - paused, exhaled, explode up.  Phone rang after 4 reps

95 x 5 - paused, exhaled, explode up.

95 x 10 - bounced at the bottom and exploded up.  I'm finding I need more turnout than I thought, and a narrower stance as well.  Perhaps things learned from Frog DL...

115 x 5 - paused, exhaled, explode up - can't come up as fast w/ this weight as w/ 95

115 x 10 - bounced, short pause after 5th because I was losing my balance

135 x 2 - paused and exhaled and exploded up - slower but not bad
http://youtu.be/X5PTsE9amOY

135 x 10 - bounced, started slowing on 8th rep.
http://youtu.be/FV6mvGsawVw

A few thoughts

First, there is a big fear factor for me in squatting.  I get nervous about my back which, while understandable given my back history, is something I now need to get over.  Bouncing squats means moving quickly which means giving up what I had been calling control and now I think was a misplaced stiffness.

Second, 135 x 10 done this way is a PR set for me.  I'd done 135 x 12 before but those were "breathing" squats - that set took a lot longer and had more rest built into it than today's This was a snappy 135 x 10 and I am definitely stronger than a few months back at the front squat.

Third, I am going to stick with bounced, deep front squats.  Deep - no question.  But I think I'm going to keep the bounce, in combination with some paused and paused/exhaled training, because it helps me over my fear factor with moving my back.   I would love to show up at PL meets and do deep, bounced back squats - but we'll take that up when I switch to back squatting in another six weeks or so.


DB BP:  25's x 5 paused and exhaled

BP

bar x 8

135 x 2 - paused 1st rep, paused and briefly exhaled 2nd rep, first time trying exhale w/ bar on chest @ 135

155 x 1

170 x 3 - Third rep was slow but it went and it didn't stop.  Pauses were solid on all reps, better than last week's 165 x 3 in that regard.  Focusing on a strong back arch.

Looking back on old training blog entries, I see I've gotten 170 x 3 before - twice in the run-up to the Nov, 2012 WNPF meet - but never 175 x 3, so next week's will be a PR triple if I get it.  I have another crazy week next week, and lifting Thu and Fri will be after AM performances at my wife's school, so we'll see how it goes and how I feel.

No nuthin' else today - no swings, HLR, etc.

Onward and Upward

No comments:

Post a Comment