Monday, December 16, 2013

Barbell Bent Press and Kettlebell Snatch

Turns out I was sick - Saturday night, I went to sleep with a ton of clothing on and under a pile of blankets, and I was still cold.  Cancelled a lesson I had scheduled for Sunday and took it easy yesterday.

Better today although not 100%

10kg kettlebell: windmill, 3 left, 3 right.  When my form on these is OK, multiple reps per side feel normal, and that's starting to happen.  Will keep these as a warmup.

Bent Press: 5 ft, 30 lb. Oly bar w/ a 10 on each side for 50 lbs. total:

1L, 1R

1L, 1R w/ long pause at lockout to stretch shoulder and open t-spine

1L, 1R - Repeat above - left arm/shoulder shakes at lockout

Longer rest, repeat above

1L, 1R - better

1L, 1R - even better, left side smooth, right side less so

Add a 5 to each side, 60 lbs total

Left - did not feel good on shoulder, stopped rep.

Removed 5's, put on 2-1/2's, now 55 lbs total

1R (other side) - good, rest, 1L - got it.  I think I freaked out a little about 60 lbs and was trying to press it out too much.

Keys to Bent Press for me

- ring finger in middle of non-knurled section of bar
- after clean, turn body almost 180 degree rather than rotate bar
- big chest
- shoulder pulled back
- lat flared and pulling shoulder down
- stance needs to be pretty wide, wider than I tend to think from years of doing windmills
- need to fold/screw forward and away from the weight, eyes on the weight

KB Snatch: 18 kg, 20L + 20 R in 2:00 - drop on right not hard style, trying to fix, otherwise pretty good.

Onward and Upward




No comments:

Post a Comment