Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Not Training When Sick

My last post was six days ago because that's the last time I did any real lifting.

As I mentioned in a previous post, my wife and I are heavily involved in a big volunteer project in our town at this time of year. Add to that the fact that we both got sick and you'll understand why I haven't lifted. I had a fever over the weekend and had to play 4 shows plus teach a few private lessons - besides those obligations, I did nothing else except rest and try to get better.

It's very, very important to know when to back off on your training - whatever you lose in the short term, you gain in the long term because you've made sure your training will continue after only a brief interruption. The alternative of pushing through with planned training often results in a longer layoff because the illness doesn't get dealt with in a timely manner, and all sorts of other problems often arise, e.g., you lift something heavy with poor form - poor because you're not feeling well - and you get hurt.

I missed a planned Heavy Day last Saturday, and a planned light day on Monday because, even though most of my symptoms were gone and I could have lifted, I elected not to - I still felt quite tired and that was reason enough to skip the planned lifting session for me.

Yesterday, I did some light stretching and a few one-legged deadlifts with a 28 kg bell. Today, I hope to have a more or less normal Medium Day, and I will take the upcoming Heavy Day this weekend by feel - if I can move forward, I will, if I need to repeat my most recent Heavy Day or go backwards, then that's what I'll do.

Onward and Upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment