Thursday, February 23, 2012

Medium Day w/ a Twist, and a Run

Two interesting training days detailed below:

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - ETK ROP Medium Day

I was a little short on time and also feeling the need for a change of pace, so I did normal sets instead of ladders

Planned: (1-2-3) x 5 = 30 reps in 15 sets

Actual: 2, 3, 5, 4, 6, 3 = 23 reps in 6 sets

To my mind, the workout still did what Medium Day was supposed to do, supply a moderate amount of moderately taxing volume without leaving me feeling totally spent.

I had an epiphany of sorts - bringing my feet closer together than usual results in better press form for me. It's too easy to turn a "strict" military press into a hip-kick through the sticking point, effectively borrowing from the side press. More to follow on this subject, I'm certain.


Thursday, February 23, 2012 - Snatches and Run

I'm going to be running with my son this summer but, at age 56 and nearly 57, I need a head start on him. So today, I ran a little outside. (Unfortunately, he followed my lead and also ran .)

Before I ran, I decided to try some 16 kg kettlebell snatches - no warmup of any sort, just mid-afternoon, pick up the bell, and have at it. The loose plan was 20-15-10-5 for a total of 100 reps if that felt good.

I did the 20L+20R+15L+15R, 70 reps total, in just under 3 minutes and stopped there. My breathing was still easy - it was both in and out through my nose to start, and still in through my nose at the end although exhaled through my mouth. I'm going to do something like this at least once a week, keep swinging a 24 or heavier for gradually increasing volume between those times, and hope to hit 100 x 16 kg snatches in short order, after which I will move to the 18 kg and then the 20.

Back to running - I covered, I'm guessing, all of 1/4 mile, just once around a block here, and ran perhaps 1/2 or 3/4 of it.

It's important to know your natural tendencies - I am running well when I'm running fast, and whenever I get back into running, I know the right thing for me is to feel like I just want to run faster and faster - faster is easier for me. Gradually, the ability to maintain good form and keep it up for a longer time will come back to me but, for now, it's basically free-flowing at what's clearly a faster pace than a jog.

Later, grab a 24 kg and front squat - 5L, 5R, just for fun and because I haven't done any 1-kb front squats in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment