Monday, April 15, 2013

Week 6, Day 1 - FSQ Fail, OHP Progress

Took a 24 hour weekend roundtrip that involved about 5 hours of driving, did some bw work at the hotel: wall-supported handstands, headstands and that ab thing where you lower and raise your legs from a headstand, some splits, etc.

warmup today - cossack sequence, walk, a single towel L-sit pullup

FSQ

bar x 12 bouncy

95 x 8 bouncy

135 x 5 bouncy

The idea of turning your hips under at the top of your squat and then keeping them there throughout the movement (which I owe to Marty for introducing me to and Phil Scarito for explaining), well, that's a keeper in a big way.  Today is the first time I tried it more than half-assedly, and today is also the first time I descending with 135 with absolutely no discomfort in my back.

I also made it a point, after noticing this weekend afresh how maximally extending my neck in my warmups also usually extends my t-spine, to try the same in my squat - not maximally extending but something in that direction, with a focus on the neck helping to lengthen the t-spine and straighten the upper chest.

165 x 1 - aborted, back hurt - I think abs are already tired

165 x 1 - took my time descending, paused at the bottom for 2-3 seconds but did not breath, hurt some on the way back up, too.  I really have a low-rep deadlifter's abs - good for a few attempts that require hard work but they check out after a while.

180 x 1 - success but didn't want to do more reps, back hurts on ascent where it always does, right lower rib cage area, but since it usually hurts on descent and not ascent, this is not a good sign.

180 x fail - descended OK, back hurt again on ascent and worse this time, so I left the lift on the safeties.  My FSQ is overtrained.  This could be a good time to switch to back squats, might take the rest of this week off from barbell squats altogether.


OHP:

bar x 8

65 x 5

75 x 8, 8, 8

Will try 80 lb. next time - maybe 8's aren't productive, might switch to 5's right away here.

No time for anything else today

Onward and Upward

1 comment:

  1. lol, yeah 8's for you are probably the equivalent of 20's to the rest of us...I've been backing off on my conditioning work and saving my recovery energy for strength training and getting great results :)

    ReplyDelete