Friday, February 1, 2013

Week 8, Day 4 - Frog DL 300 x 5, KB Press

Was out all morning - performance at my wife's school, then some far-flung errands in the car.

Decided to warmup again with a single assisted 1-arm chin.  Went left first this time and got both side.  This really can't be good for the rest of my workout because it's a tough move but it makes my back happy and I'll eventually figure out a way to keep these, I hope.

I'm feeling in need of rehab - will press kettlebell instead of incline barbell press today, and I think I'll switch back to twice a week workouts instead of 4x/week for the next few weeks.  The going is getting tough in terms of weight.

Tried an interesting experiment in light of my difficulties with getups on only one side but not the other - decided to perform 1-arm kettlebell presses with a focus on pushing through the opposite side's foot since that's essentially how a getup works.  Visualized a getup on my problem side, with left elbow supporting, immediately before my left side presses.

24: mil press, lf, 5

My best kettlebell press set in some time, felt great, and felt like the contralateral connection is a winner for me here.  Really felt more stable, and also realized that I think I tend to put more weight on the same-side leg when I press - this cue really helps stabilize me.  This one goes into the "subtle but nonetheless very important" category for me as an athlete.

24: mil press, lf, 3, 2

Long pause in overhead support position at the end of all three sets.  Ah, I've missed these.

Frog DL:

Very little experience with over/under grip in this stance so we'll do a warmup set each way.

225 x 2 right under - weaker grip, I believe

225 x 2 left under - stronger grip

What's a good use for 2.5 lb. plates?  To turn 295 into 300.

300 x 5 left under - stronger grip
Video http://youtu.be/SbtNuFnyhuY

HLR: 1

Onward and Upward

2 comments:

  1. Would love to see some video of the 24kg presses! It's something I'm working on myself and you're closer to my size than most of the professional kettlebellers I follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do. I have completed the Rite of Passage with a 24 kg twice in the past.

      Delete