Saturday, May 12, 2012

Heavy DL Day

I've been very busy with work, am feeling pretty tired, and you wouldn't think it would be a good heavy deadlift day, but it was.

Friday, 11 May 2012

Qigong on the front porch - ah, feels so good to do this and the weather was beautiful.  Some other stretching as well.  My version of the Crane Frolic now always includes a bodyweight pistol, and I did a couple on each side as alternating singles.

The Plan called for getups, etc., today, but I did enough of those earlier in the week - just something restorative today.


Saturday, 12 May 2012


The Plan - Sat = 28 heavy kb press/pu x 10 total reps, volume SQ, easy BP, heavy DL

warmup - floor and cossack sequence

NB: tired today, work life very busy.

28: press/pu, start w/ left foot today: 1, 2 - had to stop to teach, didn't feel like doing more when I got back to the basement

FSQ -  warmup w/ stick OHS, bar OHS, bar Frankensquat

FSQ - 95 x 1, 1, 115 x 5, 5, 125 (roughly 75-80%) x 5, 4 - right knee starting to hurt, feels like it's not tracking properly, will try a bit more turnout, 2 - turned out more, also made sure to hip hinge primarily and not worry about dorsiflexing, and got 2 good, pain-free reps but was getting tired.  Might try for 115 or 120 x 5 x 5 next week.

BP:  bar x 5, 135 x 5 - easy

DL: on 3.5" platform:  225 x 1, 250 x 3, 265 x 2, 280 x 1, 1, 1

NB: for 280, did first two reps overhand grip, last rep left under and right over.

An interesting DL day - I was tired, and just didn't feel like doing any setup at the top, bent down slowly, spent quite a while with my hands on the bar getting comfortable, then pressurized and pulled, looking essentially at my feet and even watching the bar come up.  Sounds strange, I know, felt very strong.  Only did a left-under grip on the last rep because I don't want to forget how an over/under grip feels.

280 on a 3.5" platform for 3 singles ain't bad for me, not having deadlifted in a long time until about a month ago.  They weren't exactly speed but the weight kept moving and that's all that matters.

Last Saturday, I did some swings to finish, but I'm tired and I'm going to skip that.  Still have a lot of work to do.

Onward and Upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment