Monday, April 9, 2012

The New Plan - Max Bench, Sorta ...

Saturday was Surovetsky (sp?) max DL day, so I decided that today, Monday, would be max BP day. I elected, since my BP is just ramping up, to do a little more volume than a true max day and use the 5-4-3-2-1 format. First of all

Sunday, 8 April 2012 - Variety

Walked 2 miles with my wife, coffee stop in the middle.

Did a nice stretching session on the front porch including my best MA (martial arts) and side splits in a while.

Walked 4 more miles with my wife and a friend, another coffee stop in the middle.


Monday, 9 April 2012 - Volume DL, Max Bench

BP:
135 x 5
145 x 4
155 x 3
165 x 2
175 x 2

I just had to do the extra rep @ 175, which wasn't planned. It was slow but never stopped. Bodes well for future increases in weight, would just love to get a 225 single, something I've never done. In fact, I've never gotten a 200 lb. single.

FSQ: Needed a change of pace so did

28 kg kettlebell, 3L + 3R - haven't done these in a while, nice

No kb pressing or pullups today - with all we're doing, I think these are going to go on a Wed and Sat rotation.

DL: On a 3.5" platform

225 x 5 reps x 5 sets

1 hour later, 20 kg snatch

0:00 - 20L+20R in about 2:00
2:00 - rest 2:00
4:00 - 15L+15R in about 1:30
5:30 - rest 2:30
8:00 - 10L+10R in :45
8:45 - 1:45
10:30 - 5L+5R in :30
11:00 - finished

Not great, but not bad after all those DL's, either.


The plan is taking shape - looks like a 3-day rotation, Mon-Wed-Sat, with heavy DL on one day, heavy SQ on another, and heavy BP on a third. The training day following heavy day on each will be light and volume on the same lift, and the third day will be off except for BP, where I'll go with two light days and one heavy day. The off FSQ day will get a few kb fsq's instead.

Not completely sure where kb pressing/pullups will fit in. Windmills and getups on Tue-Thu-Fri-Sun as it feels good, also need to get swings and snatches in somewhere.

Onward and Upward

2 comments:

  1. steve

    why don't you do your kb press on bench day as an assistance move? Just control the volume given that you've just benched.
    Pullups could also go on bench day OR after Deads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing that, sort of - I'm going to post the latest version of "da plan" in the next blog entry which I'm going to write up right now.

    I like the press/pullup superset from the ETK ROP so I'm going to keep that.

    ReplyDelete