Friday, December 7, 2012

Overhead Press and Sumo DL

Some floor work to stretch out today.  Have a long day ahead and this is still recovery week so will take it easy today.

2 x 24 kg: mil press, 1 - long overhead hold, looking for good elbow lockout and t-spine extension.


2 x 24 kg: mil press, 2 - solid pause at lockout after first rep, long pause (~10 sec) after second.

It's important for me to remember that bench pressing isn't going to help my overhead press but my overhead press will help my bench press - so I need to keep overhead pressing.  These are harder than they ought to be, right at the sticking point, and I need double kb work more often.  Let's do one more set:

2 x 24 kg: mil press, 3 - as above, long pause on last one.  Thought about clean and press format but my good press stance is narrower than my clean stance and I want the press to be the focus.

The down side to double kb work on DL day is that it's tiring to the lower back, even with a solid glute lockout. Perhaps we'll do double kb work at the beginning of this 13-week cycle and switch to single kb work as the DL's get heavier.

Inaba style or "frog" DL, now with Marty's set protocol - touch and go

135 x 8 - left over, 185 x 6 - right over, 205 x 3 x 3, alternating grips, and relatively short 1-2 min rests between.

Video of 205 x 3 x 3:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QYXiWDa-HM

Finishers:

48 kg 2-hand swings, 6 on the minute for 7 min, video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uZxq251ytw

Onward and Upward

No comments:

Post a Comment