Monday, March 4, 2013

Easing Back Into Lifting

After a tired, exhausted last week, the weekend found me on the road again.  I think the last time I had a normal weekend at home was in January and it's now March.  The four of us (me, my wife, and our 16- and 20-year-old sons) went to visit my wife's 91-year-old step-mother.  She cooked dinner for us - she insisted - on Saturday night and we took her out to brunch on Sunday.  Good stuff, but a lot of time behind the steering wheel and not exactly restful.

Today, more driving as I took our 20-year-old son to a musical instrument store about an hour each way away for something his teacher said he needs to have.

Also feeling a little bit under the weather today.  Both my wife and I seem to have mild versions of what our 16-year-old had last week and is still getting over.

This afternoon, here's what I did, and I hope to get back to a more regular lifting schedule the rest of the coming week.

OHS (overhead squat) - bar x 1, 1 - I have lost what ability I had at this movement and I want to get it back.  I don't need to do more than an empty bar or a just a little weight, but these felt pretty awful.

FSQ: looking for explosive upward movement

bar x 6

95 x 8 - the missing ingredient for me is having the weight centered on my feet.  I tend to keep the weight on my heels, which means I lose strength right when my quads should be kicking in.  I did the reps with butt tucked under at the top, quick to the bottom and a bounce down there, then quick up and the bar bounced on my shoulders at the top.


24 kg: mil press, lf, 2, 2, 2 - slightly narrower stance on last set.  My rack position is still not what it could be.

No swings, today, would just result in a lot of coughing ...

Onward and Upward



No comments:

Post a Comment