Monday, March 19, 2012

Why I Skipped Heavy Day

Running author Bob Glover coined an expression "ROL" for Rest Of Life - your life when you're not exercising. My ROL got very busy and I skipped Saturday's planned heavy day entirely.

My wife and I are both primarily music teachers and not performers, but we had a performance-filled weekend: a 9 AM rehearsal on Saturday causing us to reschedule our usual Saturday AM students to the afternoon; Sunday morning I substituted for a friend of mine as organist and they asked my wife to come along and sing a number; Sunday afternoon, the performance for which we rehearsed the morning before; taking our son back into the city after his 2-week Spring Break from college; Monday morning, going to Surrogate Court to deal with the will of my father who passed away a couple of months ago.

Plain and simple, it was enough. Performing can be wonderful but it's also tiring and can be a little stressful if you haven't done it in a while, more the case for my wife than me but either way, it was time to take a back-off weekend to deal with other important things.

Onward and Upward - we'll see what the coming week brings but I expect to have Light and Medium Days as planned and then we'll see how Heavy Day goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment