Saturday, March 10, 2012

Diet Rant and Heavy Day - 1st Time to 5

Begin Diet Rant

Eat Less.

End Diet Rant

I wish it was more complicated than that, but it's not. Learn what food your body needs, not what food your brain wants, and include regular exercise - that's the long version.

I've been around 156 lbs. most of this winter but I prefer to be about 152-3 in the summer. This week I changed my usual, every morning mini-meal of almond butter and fruit to having that only 3 days a week, on the days I lift. Presto, I've dropped to 154 and I'm sure I'll drop another pound or two next week, too.

While eating better is a more complex subject, eating less is about closing your mouth. If you find it tough to say "no" to food and you want to lose weight, toughen up, consistently eat less, and weight loss will be yours. Lift heavy things or perform any other regular exercise while you're eating less and your body composition will improve as you lose weight because you'll lose more fat than muscle.

Please note that this is not medical advice I am dispensing - any diet or exercise program requires your doctor's approval.

If you want better health and an easier time eating less, I recommend you look into cyclic eating. The classic in this regard is the Warrior Diet but there are now other approaches. It can be as simple as having a weekly cycle of eating more on the weekends and following a Spartan-like eating plan during the week, but the Warrior Diet's daily cycle of undereating during the day and overeating at your evening meal works very well, and the Warrior Diet book is well worth the time it takes to read because it contains good advice on other aspects of diet as well. I cycle my eating seasonally, weekly, and daily, eating more in the winter and less in the summer, more on the weekends and less during the week, and more at night and less during the day.

Getting on the scale daily is another great idea. If you're watching your weight then do just that - watch the scale every morning.


ETK Heavy Day

(1-2-3-4-5) && 45 min break between 4 and 5 - child moving and errands

(1-2-3-4) x 2

(1-2-3-3) x 1 - stopped here, didn't do pullups for final rung that was planned to be 4 but ended as 3

Notes: I am experiencing some "reprogramming" for lack of a better word in my left shoulder - this shoulder has been diagnosed with a torn labrum and arthritis, but it's working ever better and better, and my t-spine mobility is also steadily and slowly improving. Today's presses felt different somehow, and I think I'm starting to use the shoulder differently than I'd been, and I think this is a good thing although I cannot be 100% sure. The shoulder is sore, too, although it doesn't feel like anything new or bad, just a bit of bone-on-bone sort of soreness that's been there for several years and isn't getting better or worse.

Anyway, a learning experience, glad I stopped when I did - something was just nearing its limits in my left shoulder and I'll be back to fight again another day.

Onward and upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment