Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Change of Program

1. I've been through the Rite of Passage before.

2. I've just gotten to 3 x (1-2-3-4-5) + 2 x (1-2-3-4) using a 24 kg for presses and a 24 kg on my foot for pullups.

3. I'll be at the RKC Level II in a few weeks.

4. I'm going to Marty Gallagher's June 2-3 workshop.

5. I need to do more snatches in my training to be ready for my snatch test.

6. I've decided I want a change in my program. I want my good barbell deadlift back, I think the barbell bench press has things to offer my shoulders - more about that in a future blog but bench pressing can be _good_ for your shoulders - and I want to try out an approach to the squat focused on the barbell front squat.

So last Saturday was it for my ROP.


Sunday - walked 4 or 5 miles with my wife on a lovely day with a coffee stop in the middle. Some light lifting when I got home - 16 kg getups, 24 kg windmills, and 32 kg one-handed swings.


Monday - barbell bench press, hereafter BP: 135 x 2, 1, 4 - just remembering how to do this. Uncomfortable due to tightness in my left shoulder, but that felt _better_ afterwards, a very good sign. Technique will be focused on classic powerlifter bench press - pull bar down, pull bar apart, arch back, keep shoulders low, bring bar to top of abs, not chest, pause at bottom, flare lats to start the bar back up, push bar straight up.

Also on Monday, after BP: 24 kg press/pu ladder 1-2, 28 kg press x 2, 24 kg pu x 3

Barbell DL: 175 lbs. (what was on the bar at the time) x 3

18 kg snatch: 20/20/15/15 - no breaks in about 3:20 - video taped, didn't especially care for many of the reps.

18 kg snatch: 10/10 - wait about 5:00 after previous set, tried to be more solid at the top and punch over in both directions, but didn't video tape


Tuesday:

full getups w/ 16 kg then 24 kg, just a single each weight and each side

BP: 135 x 2, 2 - about the same as yesterday

18 kg snatches: 15L+15R, rest, 20L in :45, rest, 20R in :45


Wednesday:

BP: 135 x 5, 4, 145 x 4, 155 x 3 - all felt great.

28 kg press ladder w/ 28 kg for pullups: (1-2)x 2

20 kg snatch: 10L+10R

Planned for Thursday - some barbell front squat (hereafter FSQ) and barbell DL

Onward and Upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment